The Justice Office Co-Director supports and promotes the mission and charism of the Sisters of St. Joseph of Carondelet (CSJ) as expressed in their commitment to the profound love of God and love of Neighbor without distinction. The CSJ community embodies this profound love through the promotion of justice and working for systemic change.
This role collaborates with the present Justice Office Co-Director in supporting CSJ leadership, the Justice Commission (JC), the JC groups within the St. Paul Province focusing on areas of justice. The CSJ way of justice is rooted in relationships, Catholic Social Teaching, educating, advocacy, long-term acts for justice leading to systemic change and partnering with others including with local, state and national justice groups and organizations.
The Co-Director will coordinate functions of the Justice Office in team work with the other Co-Director by:
- Supporting the CSJ Justice Commission and activities of specific Commission working groups.
- Organizing and generating content for the Justice Office’s public facing materials, such as website, social media and print materials, in collaboration with all the liaisons of the commission’s working groups, CSJ Public Relations person and the CSJ Communications Content Strategist.
- Cultivating membership and volunteer engagement in the work of the CSJ Justice Commission through creative outreach, relationship building and innovative opportunities.
- Supervising day-to-day activities of intern(s).
- Collaborating with CSJ grassroots advocacy work in creating non-partisan and non-divisive advocacy opportunities, educational events, action alerts and legislative visits.
- Representing the Province and Leadership Team on social justice issues and with attendance at events.
- Participating in the monthly national CSJ Congregational Justice meetings and collaborative work.
- Collaborating with other CSJ departments and partners to further the public visibility and presence of the CSJ St. Paul Province and Justice Office.
- Fostering relationships and partnering with young adults,(such as students at St Catherine University) diverse communities, grassroots organizations and/or public sector groups in furthering directives in promoting justice and acting for systemic change.
- Staying relevant with CSJ and legislative initiatives, social justice issues, and achievements.
The requirements/experiences needed for the Justice Office Co-Director position include:
- Bachelor’s Degree Political Science, Community Organizing, Theology / Peace Studies, Social Work or related field.
- 3-5 years employment or volunteer experience in social justice and peace issues, particularly in grass roots organizing efforts with young adults and diverse cultures and communities.
- Community connections with justice groups and organizations.
- Knowledge of legislative process.
- Experience in supervising.
- Experience in working on a team.
The skills needed for the Co-Director position include:
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Experience with social media platforms.
- Ability to present non-partisan views on legislative positions.
- Ability to work with balance and sensitivity within groups containing varying opinions and ways of communicating while having the ability to draw upon non-violent communication skills.
- Proficient with Microsoft Office, Outlook and Zoom.
- Office demands such as keyboarding, writing, and assisting with both in-person and online programs.
The Co-Director for Justice will require abilities to:
- Attend events in public, with crowds and to travel around the metro area, even in occasional inclement weather.
- Set up for events both in person and electronically including lifting, carrying and transporting items that may be up to 25 lbs.
- Be flexible in working day, evening and some weekend hours around in-person as well as on-line events.
For more information and/or to apply for open positions, please contact Apply@csjstpaul.org