The Legislative Advocacy Partners Working Group
Working for Systemic Change
The LAP Working Group promotes collective advocacy actions for justice especially through our Action Alert email list members, called “LAPartners.”
Together with the CSJ Justice Commission and their justice groups along with the Carondelet Village Justice Seekers and our partners in mission, we are excited to share some highlights of our collective work together with the CSJ community throughout the 2022-2023 year including:
- 1,000+ notes/postcards/letters were sent to our legislators through different grassroots campaigns especially at Carondelet Village and St. Catherine University.
- 10 LAP alerts with some very positive out-comes on advocacy issues we promote.
- 47% over-all engagement rate of our LAPartners to our advocacy alerts.
- 20+ LAP advocacy conversations (trainings) sessions (this is double our sessions from last year).
- 42 new LAPartners trained and joining now 285 member strong alert network.
- 52 weeks of “Doing Something Just” emails with ten great justice opportunities every week emailed to nearly 400 people.
- 15 circle conversations with elected officials/candidates (this is more than triple the number from last year).
- 3 Opportunities of Raising our Voice through several public statements letters
- Advocating in-person individually and communally with our elected officials at all levels of government.
- Participating and leading monthly prayer vigils for immigrants with the CSJ Immigration Working Group and Interfaith Coalition On Immigration (ICOM) and collaborating on several Gun Violence Prevention marches and prayers at Carondelet Village (August, Sept., October, and in April).
- Increased Collaborations with the Carondelet Village Justice Seekers Planning Group through a whole variety of advocacy and educational efforts particularly with the Environmental Subcommittee, the Civic Engagement Subcommittee and the ad hoc group on Prevention of Gun Violence.
Thank you to all our Action Alert “LAPartners” for our inspiring collective advocacy. LAPartners watch for our upcoming action alert or check out the CSJ Take Action page. If you are interested in becoming a LAPartner to receive the LAP Action Alert emails, contact the CSJ Justice Office at email@example.com to find out more and attend one of our LAP Legislative Advocacy Living Room Conversations.
Collaborating with the Joint Religious Legislative Coalition for Systemic Change
The LAP Working Group supported and participated in Joint Religious Legislative Coalition (JRLC)’s Day on the Hill virtually this year. This year’s inspiring and practical advocacy program can be seen on the JRLC’s YouTube Page.
The LAP Working Group co-hosted with Lumen Christi Catholic Community’s Justice Committee a legislative visit in conjunction with the JRLC’s Day on the Hill and their legislative priorities. Constituents from MN Legislative District 64 from area faith communities engaged MN Senator Erin Murphy and Representatives Kaohly Her (64A) and Dave Pinto (64B) in a “townhall” style meeting in which we discussed the need for increased funding for Affordable Housing & Emergency Shelter, support for sacred communities/tiny house legislation, and more.
Watch for LAP action alerts or check out the CSJ Take Action page in order to participate in on-going advocacy opportunities. We thank everyone that put their faith into action and are working collectively for systemic change.
“Lawrence D. Gibson” Interfaith Social Justice Award
Congratulations to CSJ Consociate and LAP member, Joan Wittman, for receiving the Joint Religious Legislative Coalition (JRLC) 2019 “Lawrence D. Gibson” Interfaith Social Justice Award.
Mission and Goals
The Legislative Advocacy Partners Working Group promotes action for justice through civic engagement. We partner with the below groups.
- Our LAPartners email action alert list members
- CSJ Justice Commission and Working and Task Groups
- CSJ Sisters and Consociates, as well as the broader CSJ community
- Spirit of St. Stephen’s Catholic Community
- Carondelet Village especially the Justice Seekers
- St. Catherine University (students, staff and faculty)
Our goals are to:
- Provide education, training, tools and opportunities to engage in legislative advocacy on federal and state levels.
- Compile and distribute action alerts (particularly through LAP alerts).
- Provide opportunities to engage in municipal elections as well as state and federal elections.
For more information contact Marty Roers at 651-690-7054 or firstname.lastname@example.org.