The Legislative Advocacy Partners Working Group
Working for Systemic Change
The LAP Working Group has been extremely active this year. Some highlights of our work this year including:
- 14 LAP alerts with some very positive outcomes this past year.
- 39% over-all engagement rate of our LAPartners in our advocacy alerts.
- 1,000+ participants engaged in Justice Commission’s Working & Task Group events, most notably Our Broken Health Care System and Impacts of COVID Event, Carondelet Sisters’ Border Experiences – Panel Event and an ERA NOW Event.
- 14 LAP advocacy trainings and refreshers sessions throughout 2020-2021.
- 6 direct advocacy visits with elected officials with 200+ community members participating in these ZOOM visits.
- 3 circle conversations with candidates hosted by Joan Wittman at Carondelet Village.
- 28 new LAPartners trained and joining our 276 member strong alert network.
- One hundred+ notes sent to our legislators through different grassroots postcard/letter writing campaigns.
- 10 Opportunities of Raising our Voice through several public statements/letters to the editor.
- Advocating in new ways this past year including with our elected officials, in public comment processes, with Administrative Law Judges.
- Participating in monthly prayer vigils for immigrants with the CSJ Immigration Working Group and Interfaith Coalition On Immigration (ICOM).
Check out the full 2020-2021 Annual Report of the LAP Working Group and their exciting outcomes by contacting the Justice Office for a copy.
Collaborating with the Joint Religious Legislative Coalition for Systemic Change
The LAP Working Group supported and participated in Joint Religious Legislative Coalition (JRLC)’s Day on the Hill virtually this year. This year’s inspiring and practical advocacy program can be seen on the JRLC’s YouTube Page.
The LAP Working Group co-hosted with Lumen Christi Catholic Community’s Justice Committee a legislative visit in conjunction with the JRLC’s Day on the Hill and their legislative priorities. Constituents from MN Legislative District 64 from twelve faith communities engaged MN Senator Erin Murphy and Representatives Kaohly Her (64A) and Dave Pinto (64B) in a “townhall” style meeting in which we discussed the need for increased funding for Affordable Housing & Emergency Shelter, support for increases to Child Care Assistance, and advocating for sacred communities/tiny house legislation.
Watch for LAP action alerts or check out the CSJ Take Action page in order to participate in on-going advocacy opportunities. We thank everyone that put their faith into action and are working collectively for systemic change.
“Lawrence D. Gibson” Interfaith Social Justice Award
Congratulations to CSJ Consociate and LAP member, Joan Wittman, for receiving the Joint Religious Legislative Coalition (JRLC) 2019 “Lawrence D. Gibson” Interfaith Social Justice Award.
Mission and Goals
The Legislative Advocacy Partners Working Group promotes action for justice through civic engagement. We partner with the below groups.
- CSJ Justice Commission and Working and Task Groups
- CSJ Sisters and Consociates, as well as the broader CSJ community
- Spirit of St. Stephen’s Catholic Community
- Carondelet Village
- St. Catherine University (students, staff, faculty)
Our goals are to:
- Provide education, training, tools and opportunities to engage in legislative advocacy on federal and state levels.
- Compile and distribute action alerts (particularly through LAP alerts).
- Provide opportunities to engage in municipal elections.
For more information contact Marty Roers at 651-690-7054 or firstname.lastname@example.org.