For the Media
The articles and images below are free to use in conjunction with news items about Sister Mary Madonna being named a 2016 National Women’s History Month Honoree. Please inform us of usage intent and, if possible, send a copy or link to Ann L. Thompson, Communications Director, the Sisters of St. Joseph of Carondelet, 651-592-3900 or by email.
Photo attributions as follows: Photo used with permission courtesy of the Sisters of St. Joseph of Carondelet, St. Paul Province archives.
Captions for Photos of Sister Mary Madonna Ashton
- Minnesota Governor Rudy Perpich with Minnesota State Commissioner of Health Sister Mary Madonna Ashton, CSJ. Sister Ashton served as Commissioner for two terms from 1982 to 1991.
- Early in her career, a young and habited Sister Mary Madonna Ashton, CSJ, worked at St. Mary’s Hospital in Minneapolis, MN, to establish an outpatient department.
- Sister Mary Madonna Ashton, CSJ, in front on her religious community’s chapel in Saint Paul, Minnesota on the occasion of her retirement from St. Mary’s Health Clinics in 2000. She founded the nonprofit that still uses donated medical services to provide free health care to those in need.
- Minnesota Attorney General Skip Humphrey hosted a Press Conference with Minnesota State Commissioner of Health Sister Mary Madonna Ashton, CSJ, to announce legislation requiring labeling of smokeless tobacco products.
- U.S. Surgeon General Dr. C. Everett Koop with Minnesota State Commissioner of Health Sister Mary Madonna Ashton, CSJ.
- At a press conference at the Minnesota Department of Health’s Rochester District Office, Commissioner of Health, Sister Mary Madonna Ashton, CSJ discussed findings in the 1984 Minnesota Nonsmoking and Health Report.